Sunday, June 22, 2008

Contact

In America a person can go for days without being touched. In Tanzania you can barely walk five feet without someone shaking your hand. To the people here it is more important to have relationships than to be on time. If they are walking along the street they will stop and greet everyone they meet along the way, so you can imagine how long it takes to get anywhere.

The day after the funeral I spent at the LOOCIP compound taking in my new surroundings and adjusting to muy rustic camping environment that I would be living in for the next week and a half. I have picture of the indoor outhouse and the "shower" which only has cold water. The kitchen is very limited, but we get food delivered and most every night that means beans and rice. If there are noodles or potatoes that is a big treat.

My friend Gina was having a pastor's conference that day so I joined her for a little while. Pastors from many denominations gathered and it was interesting to watch and listen to them pray. It seems to be the practice here that instead of everyone praying their prayers silently to themselves they pray outloud. Since I don't know Swahili or Maasai I left after a bit and walked into town with another missionary, Liz. This was my first experience with the Maasai people. They wear colorful clothes draped around their bodies and have elongated earlongs because of the jewelry they wear. The women, who have closely shaved heads as do the men, work with beads and make beautiful jewelry. The men are shepherds and warriors and carry staffs with them.

It was market day and I was a bit overhwhelmed as Liz didn't prepare me at all----people were everywhere and of course these two white girls, mzungus, stood out like sore thumbs. It was dusty and reminded me of towns that you see in old western movies with wooden shack like shops everywhere. Most Maasai still where traditional garb, but you do see jeans and suites on the men occasionally and women with wigs and more modern style skirts and dresses. We bought our groceries and returned home.

Thursday morning I met with Steven early in the morning to discuss what I needed to do and then he took me and Gina to his home village so I could see a tradional boma and visit an area that needs a new well for people to draw water. Right now women and children must walk 2 kilometers with their donkeys for water. We hiked around where the well is and saw the hill where people must climb with their cattle to get water. At Steven's house we met his mother and brothers. She made us curdled milk to drink and it was like have to swallow a glass full of sour cottage cheese--it wasn't as bad as the lamb. We had roasted corn for lunch which is another traditional Maasai meal. On our journey there we saw ostriche, monkeys, adult and baby giraffe and a very rare long-necked gazelle that was found only in Longido.

Friday was filled with meetings. I spent the morning with the LOOCIP staff finding out what they needed of me and what everyone did for the organization. I set up meetings with each one individually and since then have been busy meeting, taking photos and trying to write my brochures for LOOCIP. Next time I will tell you more about the people I have met and the wonderful passion for this place and for helping their fellow Africans.

I went to a baptist church with Gina today as it is the only service that is spoken in Maasai and has aspects of their culture. The three girls sat with us and loved putting their beautiful black hands against our white skin. There is no more loving form of communication than a smile and human contact.

4 comments:

bobby said...

Melissa, I love the detail. What the people wear to the market, the style of prayer, shaved heads, the water hill, black hands on white skin. You put us there with you, even though we can only imagine what it's really like.

I'm curious about your down time. Might not be much of it, but must be some. I wonder, what do you do with that time? Just think? Or crash?

Also, did the woman make you curdled milk on purpose? Is that how they normally like it, or is that all they had to offer? How did you ever finish it?!

Melissa Pinard said...

That's how they drink their milk--it is a specialty. It only stays for a day or so so they mnake it when they know someone is coming to visit. It wasn't so bad I just held my breath while I was drinking it. That is all these people can afford to eat---the roasted corn was lunch. You cannot refuse anything they give you.

It takes so long to greet people and talk with them that my work is moving quite slowly. Everyone you pass you must talk with a bit. My only down time is at night when I generally eat dinner, chat with housemates and sleep. it is not safe to go out after dark. Otherwise i am journaling or reading my book Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe, which is a famous African novel from 1958 which I highly recommend, or I am at the ICT--technology center. I will tell more people about this in my next blog.

Grant Wentzel said...

Not that you've got the free time, but Dave Eggers' "What Is The What" is a great read about current Sudanese refugee/civil war situation. You'll certainly have a new perspective on things...

Nicole Morgenthau: Bridal & Special Occasions said...

Hey Melissa,
I'm praying for you- and I'm really jealous too. Can I put those to sentiments in the same sentence?... I think God would understand. Anyway, I love your writing, and I can't wait to see your photos.
Love you,
Nicole