Thursday, June 26, 2008

Chai and Truckrides

Because I have been busy with my work as you can imagine there is not much time to write on my blog. Monday I spent the day writing and talking with people. Since the last entry I was able to finish interviewing the staff and have written their bios for the Web. Perhaps one of the hardest things to hear was how the women with AIDS are ostracized by their families despite the fact that it's most likely their husbands who gave it to them because they have multiple wives.



On Tuesday morning I was able to spend a few moments with a group of women who are HIV positive. Before I left home I had requested scarves and some of the women I work with at WM generously donated scarves for me to give to the women here. Well these women with AIDS loved the scarves and were happy to shake my hand. Most of the community shuns them, so they feel very alone. About three or four had babies on their laps, which made me wonder if they had been tested as well. They were going to the hospital about an hour away to be treated. One of the programs LOOCIP has is AIDS treatment and care. There is a lot of shame and cultural stigma with AIDS so no one wants to get tested. One man took his wife's children away and gave them to one of his other wives. It's an endless cycle that will not change unless the culture decides to change. There are many Christian Maasai who have decided to only have one wife and have made other lifestyle changes as well. Of course there are all the other customs such as female circumcision -- that are slowly beginning to change.



On Tuesday afternoon I needed to go to the jewelry market--I had no problem helping the local economy. Actually, I took many wonderful photos of the Maasai women making the jewelry. You see not only do the Maasai women have to build the home, clean it, make the food, take care of the children---they also have to make the money. I am not quite sure what it is that the men do except sit around all day and talk and drink. They are supposed to shepherd, but they train the boys to do this young and so we never saw anyone over 20 tending the livestock. Anyway these women were given microbusiness loans from another local community group and have been learning the basics of what it means to own your business.



Wednesday I spent most of my time in the computer lab again---we had a bit of a stoppage issue in our indoor outhouse and were afraid that we may be using the hole in the ground outside, but thankfully the "plumber" came and fixed it. He came with nothing but a surgical mask and rubber gloves and somehow several hours later everything was back to normal--I stayed away long enough to miss the details. In the afternoon we went to take a baby photo for one of the brochures. Upendo, the women who runs the program for young mothers, let us photograph her baby. She served us chai which is mostly milk mixed with a few spices and a lot of sugar. They serve chai her all the time ans it is very different than Indian chai or what you would get in Starbucks.



This morning we went on a crazy ride through the country to a village were some staff and volunteers were meeting with a group of university students from Holland. The truck ride was crazy and despite almost losing my eye on a tree branch it was great fun. Thank goodness I had sunglasses on. The scenery was breathtaking---orange brown land with acacia trees and mountains on the horizon. LOOCIP is in a tree-lined compound so sometimes it is difficult to see the landscape. Standing in the back of the truck was the perfect opportunity--and on the way back we got to play everyone's favorite game-- how many Maasai can fit into the back of the truck. This time there were 16 of us. In order to save fuel sometimes the driver would cut the gas and coast--I think there was something about that in "On the Road."



I will try to attach some photos now. If I am not able there will be a slideshow when I return. Tonight is my last evening in Longido---a place I hope to return to again some day.

2 comments:

VBlaser said...

I'm glad you still have both eyes. You'd have to wear a patch and be Patch the Pirate. Glad things are going well!!

bobby said...

Your first post back in the States will be a relief -- it'll mean you made it home alive. I'm struck by the chasm between the beauty of the countyside (as you describe it) and the darkness of these people's lives. I wonder, do they recognize this difference?