Saturday, July 12, 2008

After Shock

This is the hardest entry to write. In part because now I am back to the craziness and hustle and bustle of daily life in America and in part because if I am to be honest I will sound negative, so I will start with something positive. Despite the fact that we live in an emotionally detached country that cares more about productivity than relationships, I was overwhelmed by the number of friends new and old and family members who wrote me notes beforehand to send good wishes and afterward to check on my safe return. So although we may use Facebook instead of a handshake or a hug, I know people out there love me and that connection is an invaluable part of every culture no matter how we express it.

When I returned to the States I thought I would be happy to be here and I would kiss the ground after landing on July 4. Paris was my first stop and the giant billboards of Cartier and Givenchy and all the other couture in the Charles De Gaulle airport were too much to bear. I slipped on my ipod and tried to drown out the distractions of grumpy people and security checkpoints. Then after landing in Norfolk I saw all the typical sights of a country filled with excess like this woman who was grossly overweight and wearing short white shorts and high-heels. Thank you for sharing your cellulite and veins with us — welcome to America the home of the free and the way too brave.

The first day or two back were a daze of eating normal food, drinking wine, getting back into my routine and generally being annoyed with Americans. Thankfully it seems like God always sends one person who gets it, a person who you don’t need to explain why you are feeling anti-American, while others just stare at you out of disbelief unable to relate. Like when you get upset at the waitress for throwing away your to-go box because you know there really are people starving in Africa. So when this woman came up to me at church last Sunday and asked if I was feeling anti-American I finally felt normal for having those feelings. Sometimes a connection with one person can make all the difference. And now back to reality. Thanks for sharing my journey with me.

2 comments:

bobby said...

This post answers the question I had in the last post.

kw said...

i love your candidness here..that's the Melissa I remember and love:) Great to catch up with you after all these years! Really enjoyed seeing your pics. What an amazing experience. Inspiring!